Conclusion

Nine very different NGOs sprinkled over Southeast Asia with nine very different missions. As I approached learning more about NGOs in this part of the world, I tried to keep my expectations limited. What I have come away with is a wealth of appreciation for the passion these organizations put into their work. Whether they have spent their time bringing new art forms to Thai populations or are actively empowering local Cambodians to fight for their rights, I respect and admire the work being done.

With that said, I cannot ignore some of the organizations that I believe are being more thoughtful about the long-term effects of their work. One theme that came up time and time again was that of “western” culture vs. local culture. Some of these organizations are bringing over the beliefs and values systems from other countries and apply them to the local communities. I don't believe this is being done maliciously, but instead out of ignorance. As “westerners” coming to a new place, I think it is important to be culturally sensitive in the work being done. This can include working in local languages, respecting gender norms, respecting religious practices and/or taking the time to learn more about the local culture and history. This is not to say that some of these things cannot be questioned, but first, they must be understood. Not all organizations I spoke with were actively practicing this type of cultural insight, but some were. As an outsider, it seems that those who were being aware of their cultural impact on the communities were also better able to measure their impacts and better speak to how they hope to improve their work.

A second theme was NGO’s that were run/founded by locals vs. those run/founded by locals. I was generally surprised at the amount NGOs that were created by local people. I believe that many academics focus on development work being done by “outsiders” but there is a thriving group of locals that are invested and excited about NGO work within their own country. This was what I was hoping to see, and I was pleasantly surprised. In addition, I was excited to see the amount of local women involved in the creation of NGOs in both Thailand and Cambodia. Though gender norms may not reflect those of “western” cultures, the women I was able to speak with were empowering, independent leaders in their communities. They were respected by their local and foreign peers and role models for younger generations.


Nine more drops to the bucket of development in Southeast Asia. Whether I agreed wholeheartedly with their mission or felt that there was lots of room for improvement, each of these NGOs is working to assist the countries in which they work. I felt lucky to have a moment to hear their stories and be inspired by their passion for the work. I was particularly touched by the stories from NGO workers who were from the local communities themselves. Their drive to make their communities better excited me about the work being done from within these countries. To think if each of us had this same drive to better our own communities, how fast we may fill the bucket of this world. One can only imagine.